Gissa is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker in the state of Florida. She received her Master’s degree in Social Work and Bachelor’s in Psychology from Florida Gulf Coast University. She is also a qualified supervisor for clinical social work interns. In her 7+ years of helping individuals suffering from both childhood and adult trauma she has used a variety of modalities to promote healing and reconnection. She has specialized training in Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR); an evidence-based practice that has been proven as one the most effective treatments of trauma. She has also completed Level 1 of Gottman method couples counseling and specialized training in treating couples working through affairs and trauma. Gissa works with a high ethical standard and commitment to her clients. She has a strong skill set in facilitating empowerment-based change for at-risk individuals and families.
She has had the opportunity to work with a number of Post-911 combat Veterans and severely ill and/or injured service members and Veterans. Her role has consisted of assessing and treating complex psychosocial issues impacting their transition to civilian life, coping with combat stress, residuals of injuries, financial hardships, educational and vocational planning, and family adjustments.
“In providing therapeutic services my approach is both humanistic and empowerment-based. I believe all of us have the capacity to create positive changes in our lives if we are willing to look within to find our own strengths and put them into practice. Offering a safe space for self-exploration and healing has allowed me to witness great personal transformations and resilience for both individuals and families. By reconnecting mind, body, and spirit we can increase our self-awareness and make lasting changes.
I have worked with adults, young adults, and families in individual and group counseling. I specialize in empowering survivors of trauma and violence, as well as assisting with anxiety, adjustment to life transitions, grief/loss, self-esteem, relationship issues, career and financial empowerment, stress, and parenting.”
Gissa also brings her bilingual skills to the practice and offers counseling in Spanish or English, as well as hardship evaluations for immigration cases.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology from Florida Gulf Coast University
- Master’s Degree in Social Work from Florida Gulf Coast University
- Sexual assault response, advocacy and counseling
- Domestic violence response, advocacy and counseling
- Crisis Intervention
- Life Skills Training
- Several years experience working with culturally diverse populations, at-risk families, and homeless families
- Counseling focused on adjustment, grief, trauma, relationships, self-esteem, parenting, stress
- Crisis intervention and sexual assault response
- Consejeria en Espanol (Counseling in Spanish)
- Qualified Supervisor of Clinical Social Work Interns
- NASW (National Association of Social Workers) member and SWFL chapter Secretary
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson