Kids Yoga: 5 Reasons to Sign Your Child Up for Classes
When you think of yoga class, you probably envision adults in lotus positions sitting quietly on their mats. It might be difficult to imagine a group of kids sitting still on mats for any length of time. But, they can and they do!It’s called Kids Yoga.
Children have stress in their lives, just as adults. They have schoolwork, relationships with peers, self-esteem issues, their bodies are growing, relationships with family, and organized activities. Taking a kids’ yoga class can be very beneficial for their growing mind and bodies. Here are some benefits that can come from signing your child up for kids’ yoga.
- Kids need down time. Their days are packed full of video games, school projects, birthday parties, after school sports, and many other “busy” activities. Incorporating yoga, an activity that teaches them to slow down and “be in the moment”, can improve their overall health. Learning to enjoy much-needed down time is a skill that they can take with them through their life.
- Kids yoga improves their focusing skills. Through the controlled, deep breathing of yoga, children learn how to connect deeper to their bodies. This takes focus, which will help them in all facets of life such as attentiveness at school, focus in sports, and later in the workplace.
- Kids yoga helps to strengthen and stretch their bodies. There are a lot of impact-type sports in our schools such as football, basketball, soccer and lacrosse which are stressful on young bodies. Yoga creates the opportunity for children to stretch and lengthen their muscles, which is non-impact and will help to support their joints during any school sports in which they participate.
- Kids yoga teaches children how to meditate. Through the soft flow of yoga and the meditative aspects, kids are able to experience the mind-body connection. Slowing down the breathing and learning how to meditate as a youth will help to build self-confidence and increase self-esteem. In learning how to control their breathing and understanding the importance of taking deep breaths, this can help to reduce anxieties during stressful times.
- Kids Yoga helps children express emotions. It teaches healthy expression of emotions and coping skills that will help them not only through childhood but also skills that can be built upon and last through life challenges as an adolescent and into adulthood. Yoga class is a safe place to learn social skills, coping skills and many other valuable life skills while at the same time having fun!
We offer kids and teen yoga classes here at Monarch Wellness. To find out more information, please call us at 239-231-3208 or stop by our Naples location at: 843 Myrtle Terrace, Naples, Florida 34103